Teens and Dental Care – 7 Practical Tips for Those In-Between Years
Most teens are too busy with their social lives and newfound independence to stop and worry about their dental care, but family dentistry experts know that good oral care throughout the teen years is important for keeping a healthy mouth into adulthood. An affordable dentist in West Chester can offer early detection and treatment of tooth and gum disease, but good dental care habits at home can prevent many problems before they start.
Here are seven tips for keeping your teens on the path to proper dental care:
1. Remind your teen about daily dental care. Encourage your teen to brush and floss daily, and also set a good example by doing so yourself. Providing interesting dental care products can encourage compliance.
2. Be on the alert for gum disease. Hormonal changes can increase the risk of gingivitis and periodontitis. If your teen’s gums are bleeding, consult your family dentistry expert for treatment options.
3. Look for mouth irritations. If your teen wears braces, be on the lookout for mouth sores. Avoiding acidic foods and practicing good dental care can help reduce painful symptoms. If sores persist, consult your family dentistry professional.
4. Be aware of the signs of eating disorders. Anorexia or bulimia can cause serious damage to both the body and teeth. If you suspect an eating disorder, get your teen medical and psychological help immediately, and also consult an affordable dentist to determine if any tooth damage has occurred.
5. Watch oral piercings closely. Take your teen to your family dentistry professional regularly to make sure tongue or lip piercings are not causing dental problems like infections or chipped teeth.
6. Keep soda and sugary drinks out of the kitchen. Avoid sugary drinks and make plain water readily available. To encourage water consumption at school, provide a refillable water bottle.
7. Make sure your teen wears a mouth guard during sports. If your teen plays sports, ask an affordable dentist about the right kind of mouth guard to protect their teeth.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in West Chester, call Gentle Dental of West Chester today at (484) 643-4417 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in West Chester. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of West Chester, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of West Chester.