Are Your Dental Care Habits Helping or Hurting Your Smile?
The little things you do every day may not always seem important, but over time, they can add up to big problems. This is especially true when it concerns your dental care habits. Forgetting to brush or floss, eating lots of sweet snacks, or even biting plastic bags to open them can all contribute to poor dental health over time. If you continue to practice harmful habits, they may eventually lead to bad breath, bleeding gums, gum disease, and even premature tooth loss.
Severe dental disease also affects other parts of your life. Consider the following:
- Tooth loss or extensive decay may result in difficulty chewing or speaking.
- Bad breath and tooth discoloration can destroy your self-confidence.
- Cardiovascular disease, pneumonia, and diabetes are all linked to poor oral health.
- Delaying necessary dental care treatments often results in more expensive and invasive treatments later.
Improve Your Dental Care Habits
Dental professionals recommend the following tips to improve dental hygiene for kids and adults.
- Brush at least twice daily and after meals when possible. When you can’t brush after eating, chew sugar-free gum for about 20 minutes.
- Use your toothbrush or a tongue scraper to clean your tongue after you brush. This removes the bacteria responsible for bad breath.
- Floss each day to remove plaque and residual food from hard-to-reach places between teeth.
- Replace your toothbrush when its bristles become bent, broken, or jagged. A worn toothbrush can’t do its job.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet and avoid excess sweets.
- Find an affordable dentist in West Chester and schedule check-ups at least twice a year to address minor dental problems before they get worse.
- Do not use your teeth to open bottles, bags, or other items. Bottle openers and scissors are much cheaper than root canals and implants.
Understanding proper dental care habits and making changes as needed helps you keep your healthy smile for decades. The sooner you start taking care of your teeth and gums, the longer you can enjoy the benefits of great oral health.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in West Chester, call Gentle Dental of West Chester today at (484) 643-4417 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in West Chester. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of West Chester, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of West Chester.